Today’s Topic: Things That Make Me Pick Up a Book
Hosted by: That Artsy Reader Girl
This week’s post is going to be short and sweet. I’m pretty sure the reasons I pick up a book are pretty similar to why others choose books as well. I’m not going to pretend I’ve broken the mold and I won’t bore you with too much detail.
- Cover – I regularly buy a book that I know nothing about simply because I fall in love with the cover. There have been a few duds, but for the most part, I’ve discovered some real gems this way.
- Author – I’m extremely author loyal. If I find an author whose work I love, they automatically go on my auto-buy list for any new releases.
- Genre – Speaking of loyalty, I also love historical fiction, so if I run across a book or author I’m unfamiliar with, I may still buy it anyway if it’s my favorite genre. The opposite is also true, I tend to avoid certain genres like the plague. Hey, what can I say? I know what I like!
- Positive Reviews – Sometimes I’ll take a chance on a book I’m unsure of or one that I’ve never heard of if it has really good reviews. Especially if those reviews are by people or bloggers I trust.
- Setting/Location – I’m always on the look out for books set in specific places like Russia, Eastern Europe, Italy etc. Reading is arm chair traveling for me so I like to visit places that I’ve never been or already love. That being said, I also enjoy certain fictional settings created by an author for a series.
- Continuation of a Series -When I start a book, I don’t usually pay attention to whether it’s a single title or part of a series. But when I found it belongs in a series, I have to read the whole thing!
- Kindle Sale – No lie, I’ve lost track of the number of books I’ve added to my collection because they were on sale or free on Kindle. And what is my criteria for these purchases? A beautiful cover, they are in my preferred genres, I know the author or the back blurb sounds interesting.
What are some reasons you choose a book?